Join a wildlife safari…
…into Vindelfjällen nature reserve, one of Europe’s largest protected areas and a classic habitat for the arctic fox. Mikael Vinka, your Sami host and guide, has since long worked with the preservation of the arctic fox. Most of his life is spent outdoors, in the mountains: he has a collected as well as inherited understanding of the arctic flora and wildlife to share with his guests.
The area around Geunja Sami Ecolodge has a calcareous vegetation with many alpine plants, and from the mountain tops you will look down over the delta of meandering streams. The golden eagle can sometimes be seen gliding along slopes in search of food, newborn reindeer calfs on unsteady legs, and in the bright summer night you will be given the opportunity to see arctic foxes carrying lemmings to their puppies.
The first evening meal is served in front of the fireplace in the Sami Goathie, where Mikael gives a taste of nature and Sami culture. Lunches are enjoyed outdoors over open fire, and after our excursions we return to Geunja to enjoy Sami tastes, and food made from family recipes handed down through generations.
This 4 day tour available June – August includes:
- 3 nights in one Sami ecolodge with 6 beds
- Full board including 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches or packed lunches and 3 dinners with local food
- Welcome drinks and snacks
- Possibility to sleep in a Sami goathie, a “teepee”, on a bed of reindeer hides using sleeping bags
- Sami Culture, crafts and storytelling by a local host
- Guided tours
- Wood fired sauna, including towel
- Take part in the daily life at the lodge
- Canoes including lifejacket and paddle
- Fishing license
- Boat transport to and from Geunja Sami Ecolodge