The coming summer you can take evening photo courses with Peter and his collegues Niklas Johansson and Hans-Olof Utsi in Abisko and Björkliden. The course runs in collaboration with Lapland Resorts, STF Abisko Mountain Station and Abisko Mountain Lodge. The course is outdoors and hands on – you’ll get plenty of tips on how to develop you skills. You can use your own camera of borrow Canon SLR equipment on location. Find out more at photoadventures.lapplandmedia.se.
What is the best thing about summer photography in Swedish Lapland?
– In short – there is no reason to go to bed! The beautiful evening light makes you awake and helps a lot when you want to photograph everything from macro, flowers, portrait, landscapes and wildlife. It is an exciting and busy time of the year. After a long winter the mountains are alive and full of energy again.
What is your best advise for anyone keen to do some photography during their summer-stay in Swedish Lapland?
– Get out there when everyone else is asleep. And use the light in a creative way.
– Relax! Don’t start shooting straight away. Take your time. Get to feel the atmosphere. When you are relaxed you can really start seeing the images. In order to capture the extraordinary you need to recognise the ordinary.
– Get down on the ground and find new angles. A different perspective or a new light situation can make all the difference between a good picture and an amazing one.
– Try and stay with one subject for an hour or more, compare how your images evolve. See the importance of light and angle to your subject. This is when you will really start getting creative.