Igloo building is a fun adventure.
Ecoturism. Special Snow adventures and exclusive hiking/wild life tours in the forest land on the Arctic Circle. The strengths of the company are the ecoturism and leave no trace principals, long guide experience and flexibility.
Igloo Weekend in Saltoluokta
Build you own igloo! Knowledge of snow is important on a winter mountain holiday. It can be important if you get into a snowstorm in the mountains. But above all it is exciting and fun to dig and build in the snow! During three days, you literally live in the snow in Saltoluokta mountains, not far from the boarder from World Heritage Laponia. Together with STF (Mountain lodge) Natulife arrange their mountain igloo weekend. You learn a lot about the material snow, travel with skies and stay one night in your own built igloo!
Good to know: Igloo building is a fun adventure. Building the technique of Igloo is an old Inuit tradition from Greenland and Northern Canada. Just like them, Jokkmokk have a large amount of snow in wintertime. In open areas where the wind has packed the snow down hard, you will find the good snow for building igloo’s which is especially the case in the mountain areas.
This 4-day activity available from the end of February – middle of April includes:
- Ski tours in Saltoluokta
- Igloo building. With the help of igloo saw and knife, we build our igloos and stay overnight on reindeer skins and in an extra warm sleeping bag
- Sauna at the mountain lodge
- A small Alpine tour on skis or snowshoes
- Accommodation (at Saltoluokta Mountain station 2 nights and one night in an igloo)
- Full board on Saltoluokta Mountain Lodge and meals out in the mountain area